April 17, 2019
One Grand Prize Winner and Four Finalists to be
Showcased at the BBC AMERICA Booth at San Diego Comic-Con July 2019
NEW YORK – April 17, 2019 – Calling all Whovians with an artistic flair and creative impulse! Ahead of this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, BBC Studios announces the “2019 Doctor Who Fan Art Competition,” giving fans an opportunity to see their own work on a Doctor Who t-shirt, with a limited quantity available for purchase at the BBC AMERICA booth at San Diego Comic-Con.
As anticipation for the next season builds, Whovians can channel their creative energy into an innovative rendition of the TARDIS and their favorite Doctor. Entrants can create anything from a candy mosaic of Tom Baker to a bowtie collage of Matt Smith – the possibilities are endless! The competition opens on April 17, 2019 at 8:00am ET and closes on May 15, 2019 at 8:00am ET.
A panel of judges will select one grand prize winner and four runner-up artists. The grand prize winner and a guest will receive an exclusive Doctor Who-themed weekend trip to London, which includes:
– Two nights accommodation
– Special afternoon tea for two
– Doctor Who Escape Room activity in Reading, England
– Exclusive private screening of the fan’s favorite Doctor Who episode
– Having their artwork printed on limited-edition Doctor Who merchandise sold at San Diego Comic-Con
– Receiving a goody bag including iconic Doctor Who merchandise valued at approximately $680
All four runners-up will each:
– Have their artwork printed on official, limited-edition Doctor Who merchandise sold at San Diego Comic-Con
– Receive a goody bag including iconic Doctor Who merchandise valued at approximately $680
Art Specifications: Each entrant must design their own original piece of Doctor Who fan art in accordance with the following criteria:
– Artwork must feature both the TARDIS and one Doctor *
– The Artwork may also, at the entrant’s discretion, include a background texture, splash of colour or other abstract background design, but must not feature any other design element, including (without limit) any other Doctor, character, companion, monster, robot, prop, location, building or branding element (including third party brand names and logos), whether from the Doctor Who universe or otherwise.
– Artwork can be created in any two-dimensional medium and any color.
– Artwork must not include identifiers such as the entrant’s name, signature, image, likeness or any other identifier, or any reference to Comic-Con.
*Refer to the terms and conditions at doctorwho.tv/competitions/fan-art for more details on the criteria
Submitting artwork: Each entrant must complete the entry form and upload their artwork in digital format on the Fan Art Competition website at doctorwho.tv/competitions/fan-art in accordance with the following criteria:
– Artwork must be submitted in RGB high res formats (TIFF, JPEG, PNG, or GIF).
– Artwork resolution must be a minimum of 300 dpi.
– Artwork must measure at least 260mm x 260mm when printed at 100% and must not measure more than 381mm x 508mm.
Each entrant may submit multiple entries, as long as each separate entry consists of a different artwork. Entrants can only win one prize in the competition.
The competition is open to legal residents of the United Kingdom, the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Australia, and New Zealand who at the time of entry are at least 18 years of age, or the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside (whichever is higher). The grand prize winner and four finalists will be revealed at the BBC AMERICA booth during San Diego Comic-Con in July.
Links to Official Doctor Who Social Media:
About BBC Studios
BBC Studios, a global content company with British creativity at its heart, is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC. Formed in April 2018 by the merger of BBC Worldwide and BBC Studios, it spans content financing, development, production, sales, branded services, and ancillaries. BBC Studios’ award-winning British programs are internationally recognized across a broad range of genres and specialties. It has offices in 22 markets globally, including seven production bases in the UK and production bases and partnerships in a further nine countries around the world. The company, which makes over 2,500 hours of content a year, is a champion for British creativity around the world and a committed partner for the UK’s independent sector.
In the Americas, BBC Studios’ operates two production units – one in Los Angeles, responsible for ratings juggernaut and Emmy®-nominated Dancing with the Stars and multi-award-winning Life Below Zero, and the other in Brazil, where local productions Dancing Brasil and Bake Off Brasil have become breakout hits. The company manages joint venture relationships with AMC Networks for flagship channel BBC AMERICA (U.S.) – home of original series Killing Eve and global brands Dynasties, Doctor Who, and Top Gear – and with ITV for SVoD service BritBox (U.S./Canada), as well as strategic partnerships in Canada with Blue Ant Media for BBC Earth Channel and Corus for BBC Canada. The company also boasts a franchise management business and a robust linear and digital content sales and co-productions operation.