July 10, 2019
NEW YORK – July 10, 2019 – Attendees traveling through space and time to San Diego Comic-Con can visit BBC AMERICA’s booth (#4129) to discover an immersive virtual reality experience, in-booth signings, the reveal of the winning artwork from the Doctor Who Fan Art Competition, and exclusive Doctor Who apparel, figures, and more from BBC Shop. The Doctor Who team is currently in production on their next season coming to BBC AMERICA.
Doctor Who: The Edge of Time VR Experience
You don’t have to be part of the TARDIS team to help the Doctor save the universe! New and returning fans visiting the BBC AMERICA booth will be among the first stateside to demo the upcoming virtual reality (VR) game Doctor Who: The Edge of Time, releasing in September 2019.
A feature-length VR experience, the game will transport fans into a globally-beloved world of monsters and aliens, mystery and wonder, letting them embark on a brand-new and fully-interactive adventure, inspired by the show’s 55-year history and starring the Doctor’s current incarnation, played by Jodie Whittaker.
Doctor Who: The Edge Of Time will launch on PlayStation VR, Oculus Rift, Oculus, HTC Vive, and Vive Cosmos in September. Doctor Who: The Edge of Time is a Maze Theory production for BBC Studios.
For more on the game, visit here.
The BBC AMERICA booth will host signings with artist Kelly Yates and author Richard Dinnick:
- Kelly Yates will be at the BBC AMERICA booth on Thursday, July 18 and Saturday July 20 from 2:00pm-3:00pm. Yates, an illustrator best known for his work on Doctor Who comics for both Titan and IDW, inspired the exclusive Kawaii Collection available through the BBC Shop. In addition, he writes and illustrates the creator-owned books Amber Atoms and MonstHer.
- Richard Dinnick will be at the BBC AMERICA booth on Friday, July 19 and Sunday, July 21 from 2:00pm-3:00pm. Dinnick, author of Doctor Who: Myths and Legends and contributing author of the Doctor Who: The Missy Chronicles anthology, is a scripted writer for BBC, ITV, Disney XD and Amazon Prime. He has also written books and comics for Doctor Who and Lost in Space for IDW, BBC, Titan, and Legendary Entertainment, across all thirteen Doctors. He is currently working on his new TV show, Surface Tension and Rob (a retelling of Robin Hood) for Legendary.
BBC Shop is bringing a slew of exclusive and first-to-market Doctor Who merchandise to San Diego Comic-Con:
- Funko POP! Figurine: Pting (Retail: $15.00)
- 3” Thirteenth Doctor TITAN Figurine (Retail: $10.00)
- 3” Thirteenth Doctor & Materializing TARDIS Kawaii Figurine (Retail: $20.00)
- Team TARDIS Hoodie (Retail: $50.00)
- Thirteenth Doctor and TARDIS Kawaii T-Shirt (Retail: $25.00)
- TARDIS Rainbow Galaxy T-Shirt (Retail: $25.00)
- Team TARDIS Kawaii Mug (Retail: $15.00)
- Blue TARDIS Tumbler (Retail: $20.00)
- Rainbow Fleece Pullover (Retail: $45.00) – BBC Shop exclusive
- POLICE BOX Pants (Retail: $45.00) – BBC Shop exclusive
- Fan Art T-Shirt: Winner Design (Retail: $25.00)
- Fan Art T-Shirt: Runner-Up Design 1 (Retail: $25.00)
- Fan Art T-Shirt: Runner-Up Design 2 (Retail: $25.00)
- Fan Art T-Shirt: Runner-Up Design 3 (Retail: $25.00)
- Fan Art T-Shirt: Runner-Up Design 4 (Retail: $25.00)
- Noodle Bowl with Chopsticks (Retail: $10.00)
- Thirteenth Doctor and TARDIS Enamel Pin Set (Retail: $15.00)
- Pting Enamel Pin (Retail: $5.00)
- TARDIS and Dalek Steampunk Tattoos (Retail: $5.00)
- Thirteenth Doctor Costume Mini Backpack (Retail: $65.00)
- Thirteenth Doctor Costume Wallet (Retail: $35.00)
For images of SDCC 2019 exclusive product, click here.
Fan Art Contest
Check out @BritiansBest and @doctorwhoshop for timing and countdown information, as well as reveals of the winning artwork. And then visit the BBC AMERICA booth daily to purchase exclusive shirts featuring the winning designs.
- Thursday, July 18: Runners up announced
- Friday, July 19: Runners up announced
- Saturday, July 20: Grand prize winner
Join the Family!
At the BBC AMERICA booth, scan your badge, and receive an exclusive Doctor Who button plus enter for your chance to win a daily giveaway. Come back each day to collect all five pins.
For more information, please contact: Kimberly.Ehlmann@bbc.com and Amy.Mulcair@bbc.com.
NOTES TO EDITORS
ABOUT BBC STUDIOS
BBC Studios, a global content company with British creativity at its heart, is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC. Formed in April 2018 by the merger of BBC Worldwide and BBC Studios, it spans content financing, development, production, sales, branded services, and ancillaries. BBC Studios’ award-winning British programs are internationally recognized across a broad range of genres and specialties. It has offices in 22 markets globally, including seven production bases in the UK and production bases and partnerships in a further nine countries around the world. The company, which makes over 2,500 hours of content a year, is a champion for British creativity around the world and a committed partner for the UK’s independent sector.
In the Americas, BBC Studios’ operates two production units – one in Los Angeles, responsible for ratings juggernaut and Emmy®-nominated Dancing with the Stars and multi-award-winning Life Below Zero, and the other in Brazil, where local productions Dancing Brasil and Bake Off Brasil have become breakout hits. The company manages joint venture relationships with AMC Networks for flagship channel BBC AMERICA (U.S.) – home of original series Killing Eve and global brands Dynasties, Doctor Who, and Top Gear – and with ITV for SVoD service BritBox (U.S./Canada), as well as strategic partnerships in Canada with Blue Ant Media for BBC Earth Channel and Corus for BBC Canada. The company also boasts a franchise management business and a robust linear and digital content sales and co-productions operation.